Opening Day at Comfort Crockery
Long view of the original storefront on Main Street.
Interior shot of the 1879 mercantile as it is being restored.
View of interior of he 1879 from Main Street door.
Historical marker as seen on the Main Street storefront of 1879 building.
3 - 5
Originally built in 1879 and expanded in 1907, the August Faltin Building in Comfort, TX is one of the 100+ contributing buildings in the Comfort Historic District. The Faltin Building is a commercial building built from limestone, with four small frame outbuildings surrounding the structure. The August Faltin Building consists of two adjoining structures: the first (on Main St) was built in 1879; a significant expansion was completed in 1907 on the adjacent corner lot (on Main and 7th St). Both buildings now represent a single unit which currently houses the Artisan Gallery at Comfort Crockery in the 1907 half and The Loom Room in the 1879 building.
A Texas Historical Marker (along with an NRHP plaque) can be found on the 1879 side of the August Faltin building; it states:
"Prussian native Friedrich August Faltin (1830-1905) moved to Comfort in 1856 and purchased the general merchandise business of Theodor Goldbeck, located at this site. Trained in his father's store, which had been established about 1818 in Danzig, Prussia, now Gdansk, Poland, Faltin became a leading merchant of the Texas Hill Country. In addition, his 1869 partnership with Capt. Charles Schreiner of Kerrville became the nucleus of the vast Schreiner enterprises.
By the late 1870s Faltin's business, which included banking and post office services, had outgrown the structure at this site and he had architect Alfred Giles of San Antonio design a new building. Constructed by the noted builder J.H. Kampmann, the Victorian Italian edifice was completed in 1879.
Later run by Faltin's sons Richard and August S., the business was sold in 1907 to their brother-in-law Dan Holekamp and his sons Otto and Edgar. That same year an addition to the building was completed. Also designed by Giles, it included second floor space for meetings of fraternal and civic groups. In 1968 the property was sold back to the Faltin family.
The August Faltin Building remains as a symbol of the area's early commercial growth." (Source: Waymarking.com)
It was purchased in 2009 by the first non-family owners Roci and Brian Brawner.